Updated Photos from Italy

Rene

Rene
Hi! Thanks for viewing my blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Maybe One Really Can Find Happiness In a Bowl of Pasta
Travels: Arezzo, Siena, San Gimignano, and Lucca

By: Rene Moraida

Editor’s Note: Rene Moraida is a San Diego City College/Southwestern College student currently living in Florence, Italy as part of a Spring 2010 study abroad program.

Time marches on here in Italy like the rest of the world, yet winter shows no sign of surrender to spring. In fact, just a few days ago it snowed briefly in Florence, nothing staying on the ground, but a brutal cold wind whipping snow flurries in frenzy across the River Arno. My Italian teacher says it has never been this cold in March or snowed this late. She blames global climate change. I am just glad I am making use of all the scarves I bought at thrift stores back in San Diego. The giant chocolate Easter eggs appearing in store windows are a sign that hopefully Spring will come soon. Winter or spring, what doesn’t fluctuate and is always in supply? Pasta!

I know what you may be thinking; he just couldn’t get past the first paragraph without mentioning food. Be warned: food will appear a lot in this blog entry, I even have added several pictures from cooking lessons and pictures from food markets. I was hypothesizing with another student about how much weight we think we will have gained when the program ends, he guessed at least 8-10 lbs. I have tucked the scale away in the bathroom and say, “Well, we are walking a lot!” and “I went to the gym today!” I will cross that bridge later, in the meantime, I am getting really passionate and developing a fondness for Italian cuisine, well mainly pasta in all its shapes and possibilities.

There is something magical when the waiter brings out your steaming bowl of pasta. He gracefully floats by, delicately holding the white bowl, it is like the crescendo, the pinnacle, the high point, the anticipation is about to end. The pasta is in front of you, hot, steamy, and beautiful. Maybe I go too far, but there is something to the Mediterranean diet and lifestyle. I have observed the elderly going on long walks, riding their bikes, there are no fast food places around or people in wheelchairs, I am sure they exist and this is just a generalization, but I think the ideas of moderation, good food and wine, and an active lifestyle are cornerstones of good health. We can learn many things from the Italians.

I have some conversational Italian lessons on my IPOD, visit www.learnitalianpod.com, to check it out if you are curious about learning Italian or are planning a trip soon. One podcast was dedicated to food, and there was a quote that said, “Happiness is a Bowl of Pasta.” Maybe, one really can find some measure of happiness in a bowl of pasta. There are just so many varieties and options, pesto, tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, seafood, my recent favorite is a pasta cooked with tuna that is marinated in olive oil, garlic, and red peppers. I have heard from several sources to not overcook the pasta into mush, a firm texture is best. When I return to the states I plan on making Italian cooking a weekly staple in my life, it is not a chore to cook food, like the Italians, food is art, it is beauty.

The program has been packed full of events: cooking lessons, wine tasting, pizza making, day trips, museum trips, today I finally went to the Academia and saw Michelangelo’s David and tonight I saw and heard Verdi’s La Triviata. It was intense, the soaring voices filled the tiny Church of St. Mark, piercing your heart, demanding your attention, as the voices fluctuated up and down. I have become an instant fan and plan to return to see La Boheme.


Escaping to surround towns and cities in Tuscany is easy by taking the Trenitalia regional trains, not expensive at all. My trip to Arezzo was great, looking at street upon street of antiques, antique chairs, dishes, military gear, religious items, I made the mistake of picking up a very old cross and it fell apart, my friend and I kept walking, he said it was a puzzle and was meant to break. Just tell yourself that the next time you break something, “oh, it was really a puzzle and was meant to break and be put back together.”

The trips to Siena and San Gimignano were a peaceful escape from the crowded streets of Florence. The fresh air, fresh snow, outdoor markets, and landscapes made the trip unforgettable. Lucca is a walled city that has banned most vehicles and cars from inside the city walls. The result is a clean, green, lush city with people enjoying a walk, jog, or bicycling.

I think when the group first arrived there was a tendency to want to lay low,adjust, explore Florence, others have gone as far as Munich already, but I think there is a collective realization that we only have 5-6 weeks left in the program and the time to explore is now. I am going to Rome this weekend and looking into going to Morocco, North Africa for Spring Break. I will share photos and memories of those journeys very soon, thank you for taking time to read the blog and look at the photos! Best to everyone…

Rene

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rene-

    I didn't have time to read your whole blog, but I just wanted to let you know about the kilometer pass. If you are going to be traveling a lot in Italy, it turned out to be cheaper than buying individual tickets (at least the last time I used one). You buy it at the train station, but not from the regular ticket window. Maybe ask one of your program coordinators about it. Buon Viaggi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RJ! It's Kat Corona. I'm so proud of you and excited that you're having such a great time in Florence. I'm so jealous. When you come back to the states, come visit me in Seattle. We'll cook Italian and swill wine all night and gossip just like we did in the forward mess decks. I love your blog and plan on reading it religiously.

    ReplyDelete